Monday, September 13, 2010

Raw Junk Food Class

On Saturday I had a raw junk food class for my Montclair Vegans meetup group. It was a lot of work and I started preparing for it on Thursday. I had a lot of fun though, and everyone that attended seemed to enjoy it. My friends Karen and Jessica helped me with cleaning and passing out the food, and I don't know how I would have been able to do it without them.

In the middle of the class, my cat Schroeder threw up. I ran through the crowd and caught the vomit on paper towels. No one seemed to mind though. They were all concerned that he wasn't feeling well. Schroeder's always had a bit of a queasy tummy. He's been throwing up often since he was a tiny little lad (he's almost 13 now), and the vet has never found anything that could be causing it.



Anyway, back to the class... I started out with raw pizza. I made sesame sunflower bread ahead of time for the crust, and I marinaded mushrooms ahead of time too. In class I made sunflower seed cheese and marina sauce. I also topped the pizza off with some chopped olives, red bell pepper and basil.



Then I made sunburgers. I showed how to make thim in the class, but I dehydrated a big batch ahead of time. I also made ketchup and spicy jicama fries.



Raw tacos are one of my favorite things to make. The meat is made with sunflower seeds and sun-dried tomatoes, and then the tacos are topped with salsa, guacamole and cashew cheese. (Everyone LOVED the cashew cheese.) Lettuce leaves are used as taco shells.



I ended the class by making chocolate mousse pie for dessert. I made the crust with almonds, coconut and dates. The filling is made with dates, avocados and raw cacao powder.

My next class will feature cooked foods. My friend Jenna and I will be making meals that focus on healthy, plant-based proteins. We're also going to teach a Thanksgiving cooking class in November. If you're in the area, join Montclair Vegans to find out more about them or to sign up.


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment