Thursday, September 2, 2010

Raw Favorites

Yes, yes, I've made these dishes before. But they're favorites of mine, and even though September has arrived, it's still really hot here in NJ, and raw food is a nice treat in the heat.


First, I made zucchini linguine and topped it with spinach pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and heirloom cherry tomatoes.



I found these little heirloom cherry tomatoes at Trader Joes. Aren't they cute? They look like little pieces of candy.



What's cuter than a container of heirloom cherry tomatoes? A little cat trying to play with that container of heirloom cherry tomatoes! This is my kitty Clementine, who really likes to inspect anything new that's brought into the house.



Then I made raw sandwiches. I topped them with cashew cheese, the leftovers of the spinach pesto, more mini heirloom tomatoes and diced avocado. I also made raw zucchini sticks and onion rings from Ani's Raw Food Essentials. The sticks and rings were breaded with buckwheat flour. First I soaked raw buckwheat, then dehydrated it, then ground it in my Vitamix until it was a fine flour. I dipped the zucchini and sliced onion in olive oil and water and then into the buckwheat flour. Then everything was dehydrated for a few hours. I will have to admit that I wasn't very crazy about either. They tasted raw and floury, which makes sense, because that's what they were. So I actually put them in the oven for a little bit. Gasp! Don't tell anyone!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment