Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tostada Potato


I would like to use Christmas as my excuse for not posting very often this week, but I like to do things in advance, so my Christmas chores have all been done for well over a week. The truth is that I've been  depressed about the loss of my sweet little Schroeder and I haven't been cooking very much. We've been getting lots of takeout and watching too much tv. (I'll let you in on a little secret here - being a person who does things in advance, I do a lot of my blog posting ahead of time, so the posts about the cookie swap, tempeh piccata and curry were all done last weekend before Schroeder passed away.) But someone said something about baked potatoes on a show we were watched a few days ago, and Dennis and I immediately started craving potatoes. There's just something so warm and comforting about them. It was time to go into the kitchen and cook something.

Of course, I couldn't make just a plain ol' baked potato. I had to load it with stuff. Once I was done cooking it, I realized it was a tostada of sorts, but on a potato instead of a tortilla. A potada, if you will. First the potatoes were baked. While it was baking, I chopped red and green bell peppers, mushrooms and onions and sautéed them until everything was soft. Once the potatoes were baked, I cut them open and put a little Earth Balance on them. I topped them with the veggie mixture and Daiya cheese, and put them in the oven to let the cheese melt. I then topped dolloped on vegan sour cream and diced avocado. This was amazingly delicious, warm and comforting and it was very, very filling. I couldn't finish the whole thing!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment