Saturday, December 26, 2009

Boxing Day Breakfast

December 26th is Boxing Day in England and areas that were settled by the English such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It has nothing to do with beating someone up, but rather giving gifts to tradesmen, mail carriers and doormen, as well as charities. The origins of the name are unclear, but some believe that it came from people giving gift boxes to their servants. Others think it comes from the boxes that were placed at church doors for parishioners to deposit coins for the poor.

Here in the US, the day after Christmas is usually the day people hit the mall to return unwanted gifts and take advantage of after Christmas sales. For me, it's the day I lay around in my pajamas, watch television and read. And eat of course. Delicious food must be a part of any day!

I started the day out with absolutely delicious apple cinnamon spelt pancakes. I'm not usually a big fan of pancakes, but this recipe won me over! They were made with spelt flour, rice milk, cinnamon, baking powder and diced apples. I topped them with soy free Earth Balance and maple syrup, and they didn't last long!

2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delish! Those pancakes look much better than the ones I usually end up with. Also, that's a great mug :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised at just how much I liked these pancakes! They were so quick and easy too. And those mugs are great for holding lots of tea!

    ReplyDelete