Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stuffed Peppers

I've been feeling a little lethargic for the past few days. I've had a slight headache and low energy. This could be because it's really cold outside and I'm off from work for the week. Or it could have something to do with the change in my diet. When changing diets, it's very possible to feel worse before feeling better. This is part of the detoxing process and actually means good things are going on in your body. It happens when giving up anything - caffeine, cheese, meat, sweets, etc. It can be tempting to eat whatever food it is that you're missing to alleviate the symptoms, but it's best to let body detox and just rest while you experience the symptoms. It should only take a few days or so for the symptoms to subside.



I wanted to make something something that was high in nutrients to help me feel better, so I made stuffed peppers for dinner last night. I make this recipe from Vegetarian Times every once in a while, and of course, I alter it a bit. I halved the recipe since I do not need to feed 8 people, omitted the cheese, celery and garlic (I think giving up garlic is worse than giving up wheat!), added more tomatoes and used less onion. I also sprinkled in a little bit of nutritional yeast to replace the cheese. Even when the recipe is halved, it makes up quite a lot of filling, and would probably still fill up 4 peppers.

Spinach is on my list of foods to avoid, but I still had a half a bag in the freezer, so I used it. I'm sure any other leafy green would work nicely. And speaking of leafy greens, I also sautéed up some red kale to serve on the side.

Dennis loved this dinner so much that he actually applauded after eating it!



No comments:

Post a Comment