Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Wheat Hangover


I'll be honest: I'm still phasing out most of the foods I'm sensitive to. Since there have been so many holiday celebrations, I haven't given anything up completely yet. On Sunday night I went to a potluck with the vegan group I belong to. I decided to try just about everything, allergies be damned! All of the food was super tasty and I enjoyed every wheat and soy soaked bite of it. Until Monday morning. I woke up with a bloated belly and rumbling intestines and I felt totally exhausted. I guess I learned my lesson! I need to be more careful when eating the foods I'm sensitive too, especially wheat.

And speaking of wheat, kamut is a relative of wheat, but a lot of people with wheat sensitivities can eat it without a problem, so I decided to try it. Kamut is higher in protein than most grains, and is also high in selenium, zinc and magnesium. I've been trying to eat more foods that are high in magnesium to get my levels up. Kamut does contain gluten, so it's not suitable for people with celiac disease.

I bought kamut flakes last week and decided to make them for breakfast. They look like rolled oats, but cook up much faster. (3 minutes!) I added goji berries, sliced bananas, pumpkin seeds, ginger and cinnamon, and then drizzled a little maple syrup and sprinkled some hemp and chia seeds on top. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment