Monday, July 12, 2010

Farmers' Market

My local farmers' market started last month. It's on Saturday mornings, and unfortunately, I haven't had any free Saturdays until this past Saturday. It's a decent sized market, and there's so much good produce that I feel like a kid in a candy store walking through it. I always try to buy as much food as possible there so I can support the local farmers, and so I know that my food is fresh and hasn't traveled very far to get to me. 

When we buy produce from other areas, they have to be trucked, or even flown, to us often from great distances. Not only does that mean our produce is actually producing emissions, it means that it's not really fresh. Often produce is sprayed with chemicals in order to keep it fresh - even if it's been organically grown.  So not only does buying from local farmers support your local community and guarantee freshness, but chances are that less chemicals were used on your food. If you have to chose between organic or local, it's always best to chose local.

It's difficult to get organic certification, so chances are that local produce is organic, it's just not certified. And I also think food from the farmer's market tastes better than it does when I buy it at the grocery story. It's also much prettier! I just couldn't help but to take photos of some of the veggies I bought!



Pretty Purple Cabbage



It's summer squash season and the farmers market had many different varieties. I had to stop myself from buying more. They all looked so good but I didn't think I'd be able to eat them all!



This eggplant is so pretty that it looks like a sculpture.



Red spring onions. I've never bought these before, so I'm not sure what to do with them, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.



Lettuce! I'm not sure what kind this is, but it looks so good!



Fresh fennel.



Yummy little carrots.



Lots of pretty peppers.



Become a fan on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment