Thursday, July 8, 2010

Raw Ice Cream


I may have mentioned the summer heat before, but if I haven't, it's really hot here. There's an old saying that goes something like "When life gives you heat, make ice cream." I may be misquoting, but thats the gist of it.  

So I made some ice cream. This is raw ice cream made with a cashew base. This is the same ice cream recipe that I used in my ice cream cake a few weeks ago. It's pretty simple, as long as you have the proper kitchen gadgets. My kitchen is well stocked with gadgets, and use them often. 

First I soaked raw cashews for a few hours, then added them to my Vitamix blender with the rest of the recipe's ingredients. After it was was thoroughly mixed, I put the "cream" in the fridge for a while to cool down. 




I then added the mixture to my ice cream maker. 



I mixed up some chocolate syrup to swirl into the ice cream with raw cacao powder, coconut oil and agave. I didn't want to have to use the Vitamix again because I didn't want to have to wash it again, so I used my immersion blender with a whisk attachment. It came out a little gritty (but still delicious), so I probably should have either used the regular blender attachment or the Vitamix. Next time. 



After about 25 minutes of churning, I swirled the chocolate and some peanut butter into the ice cream. The peanut butter isn't raw, so technically this is no longer raw ice cream, but that's okay with me. I let it churn about 30 seconds too long because the chocolate swirls no long looked like swirls, but it ended up looking like some sort of chocolate ice cream experiment gone wrong. That's also okay with me, because it tasted extremely delicious. The perfect treat for a scorching hot day! 




Become a fan on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment