Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pasta Shells with Chickpeas and Zucchini



This is a recipe from my friend Vanessa. It originally came from a cookbook her mom has but it's been passed down and altered, so I have no idea if it resembles the original recipe at all. It's quite easy and very delicious, especially if you're a chickpea lover like me. Any type of pasta can be used, but shells work well because they chickpeas sit inside them nicely.

The recipe Vanessa gave me made a huge vat of pasta, so I'll be eating this for lunch for the next few days. The next time I make it, I'm going to cut it in half.  The recipe calls for three cans of chickpeas, half of which was pureed with the liquid from the can in a food processor. I chopped up an onion and a few cloves of garlic and sautéed them together, and then added the chickpeas (both puréed and whole), a large can of chopped tomatoes, and chopped basil and rosemary. I let it simmer while the pasta was cooking. The longer it simmers, the thicker the sauce becomes. I then added chopped zucchini (I had a really jumbo yellow zucchini from the farmers market) and continued cooking until the zucchini was soft. 

I liked this so much that I think it's going to be in my regular meal rotation. I will probably add some spinach or kale the next time I make it. Gotta get those greens in! 




Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment