Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kung Pao Broccoli and Tofu


Whenever I hear the words "Kung Pau", I think of Seinfeld and George Costanza. "George likes his chicken spicy!"

Well, Dennis likes his tofu spicy, so when I saw this recipe on Dr. Weil's blog, I knew it would be a good dinner choice. I had some broccoli and tofu in the fridge, but I didn't have scallions and I didn't feel like running out to get some. Water chestnuts are one the few plant-foods I really, really dislike, so I definitely didn't have of them in the house either. I did a little improvising and added onions and mushrooms, and adjusted the sauce recipe according to what I had in the cabinet. I served it over leftover black rice from the cauliflower cashew curry I made yesterday. It was really, really good and I'll definitely make it again.

Broccoli is a highly nutritious vegetable, and it contains high amounts of vitamins C and A as well as folic acid, iron and calcium. In fact cooked broccoli contains as much calcium as a 4 ounce glass of milk and calcium from broccoli is much easier for the body to absorb than calcium from milk is. The nutrients in broccoli are known to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure as well as lower cholesterol. So make sure broccoli is a regular part of your diet!



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!



No comments:

Post a Comment