Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal


Welcome to day 2 of Pumpkin Week! Todays' dish is pumpkin oatmeal. This is one of my favorite breakfasts for this time of year. If I have time, I bake it after cooking it on the stovetop and make sort of a casserole. I usually top half of it with pecans and the other half with pumpkin seeds, making his and hers oatmeal, since Dennis doesn't like pecans.

Pumpkin Oatmeal

1 cup rolled oats
1 banana, cut into chunks
1 cup canned pumpkin 
2 cups milk of choice (I use hemp milk)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons cashew or almond butter
handful of pumpkin seeds

Boil oatmeal in milk. Turn down heat to medium and stir in the pumpkin, banana, spices and seeds. Cook together for a few minutes until oatmeal has thickend. Turn off the heat and then stir in the nut butter.

Baked Oatmeal
Once oatmeal has been cooked, transfer to a casserole dish. Sprinkle chopped pecans or pumpkin seeds on top. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.





Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment