Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tofu Teriyaki

When I was little my parents and I lived in South Jersey, and my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents lived in North Jersey. To my young brain I thought we lived days and days away from them, but now I realize it's only about an hour and a half drive. We rarely went out to eat back then, but whenever my Poppop came down to visit, he always took us out to a restaurant called Charlie's Other Brother. I loved when he visited, and I looked forward to going out to eat.  I always ordered a Shirley Temple and teriyaki chicken, which I loved.

Quite often our memories can be sparked by food. Last week my friend Jenna posted a recipe for tofu teriyaki on her blog Good Good Things, and it mad me think happy childhood thoughts of eating out with my Poppop. I ran out and bought teriyaki sauce and tofu so I could give it a try. Jenna served her tofu with broccoli, green beans and rice noodles, but I made mine with broccoli, mushrooms and brown rice. This meal was delicious, and did not disappoint. The only thing that was missing was the Shirley Temple! 

I just checked, and Charlie's Other Brother is still there! They no longer have teriyaki chicken on the menu. (They now have teriyaki steak instead.) There is absolutely nothing vegan on the menu, so I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever eat there again, but I will always have fond memories of going there when I was little.


Like what you're reading? Then follow me on Twitter!

1 comment: