Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan Thanksgiving: Stuffed Mushrooms


I'm often asked what vegans eat for Thanksgiving and my answer is always "food". Thanksgiving does not have to be about a dead turkey. There are so many wonderful "side dishes" that a vegan can eat like royalty on this holiday. And I use the term "side dishes"with hesitation, because it usually refers to the food that sits next to the meat on the plate. Since vegetables and grains are just as important - if not more so - than protein, I think all dishes deserve equal attention.


Just like brussels sprouts, I used to really dislike mushrooms. I think it's because the only ones that were ever brought into my house while I was growing up were the canned variety. Canned mushrooms are gross. But I really, really love mushrooms now and I make them all the time.

Stuffed mushrooms are super easy to make. I'm not sure what goes into the non-vegan variety, but I think it's sausage. (Or is it crab meat?) But meat is not needed to make a stuffed mushroom. I simply use the mushroom stems! This recipe is my own creation, and I've never, ever measured any of the ingredients or written anything down. I'll do my best to tell you how to make it. Just adjust the ingredients to your liking.

Start with about 16 large mushrooms. The larger the better, because they will shrink when cooked. Clean them and remove the stems. Chop the stems up into tiny pieces and sauté them together with a few cloves of minced garlic until everything is soft and fragrant. Add breadcrumbs to the mixture, mixing in a a little olive oil if it's too dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture and bake in the oven at 375 for 20 - 30 minutes, until they're tender. These area always a hit at gatherings!




Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!


2 comments: