Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegan Thanksgiving: Mashed Acorn Squash

A few years ago I would have no idea what to do with a squash. A coworker told me how good roasted squash is. She bought me a delicata squash and told me to just cut it in half and roast it. I was so intimidated by this new food that I never made it and the squash went bad sitting in my kitchen. Something clicked in me though, and not long after that I went and bought another squash, took it home and roasted it. I've been hooked ever since! It's so easy, versatile and delicious - I can't believe I was afraid of it!

This is my own creation, and I'm really sure where I came up with the idea. It's a super easy to make dish. I cut an acorn squash in half and scraped out the seeds. (Just about any winter squash will work.) I placed the pieces cut side down in a baking dish filed with a little water and roasted in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees. I also roasted a few garlic cloves by sprinkling them with olive oil, wrapping them in foil and placing then placing them in the oven. Once it was cooked, I scraped all of the squash out of the skin and placed in a bowl. I added the roasted garlic cloves some olive oil and salt and pepper and mashed it all together with a potato masher. Mmm, mmm, good!




Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!


No comments:

Post a Comment