Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Raw Taco Salad


This taco salad was amazingly delicious and very filling. It's made with a lettuce mix, red cabbage, sliced jicama, sprouts, diced red peppers, homemade salsa, cashew cheddar cheese, sunflower taco meat and raw tortilla chips. I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I made this, but I was able to finish the whole thing.

The salsa recipe is from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, and it's made with fresh corn, diced tomatoes, chopped bell and jalapeno peppers, minced garlic and a splash of lemon juice. The sunflower taco meat was super simple to make: Soak one cup of sunflower seeds and 6 sundried tomato halves in water for two hours and drain. Process in a food processor with two tablespoons of taco seasoning until well ground. The chips were made in the dehydrator with corn and flax seeds. All of the components of this salad do take a little bit of time to make, but I didn't do it all at once. I made the tortillas and cheese a few days ago and have been nibbling on them here and there throughout the week. The sunflower seeds and sundried tomatoes were soaking while I was at work today so all I had to do when I got home was grind them with the spices in the food processor. I made the salsa while I was making the salad, but that was no big deal because I was already chopping veggies. And the beauty of all this is that I have enough of everything leftover to be able to have another taco salad for lunch tomorrow!

On another note, I'm starting to wonder if I may be allergic to sunflower seeds, because I've been eating quite a bit of them lately and my eyes have started to itch again. (If your eyes itch in the inner corners, it's highly likely that you have a food allergy.) I'll to try an elimination test and see what happens. After I finish off the rest of the taco meat, of course!


Become a fan on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/VeggiegirlHHC

No comments:

Post a Comment