Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Garden Tahini Rolls with Stuffed Mushrooms



I hope everyone enjoyed the long holiday weekend! I decided to take a few days off from blogging because I needed a little rest and relaxation. I get so busy that I find I need to schedule down time, and then I need to make sure I stick to my schedule! Taking time to relax is just as important as eating a health diet, so make sure you're getting a good balance of food, rest and play!

The summer weather has hit here in New Jersey. It's far too hot to cook, so I've been preparing more raw meals. I'm not a hot weather person, and eating raw helps me keep cool. The heat tends to drain my energy, but raw foods increases my energy, so eating this way also helps me keep balanced.

This meal is from The Art of Raw Living Food by Doreen Virtue and Jenny Ross. I saw the book at my friend Donna's house and the recipes looked really good, so I bought a copy. Making raw food like this does require some forethought and preparation. I had to dehydrate quite a bit of the components ahead of time. I'm good at planning ahead though, so I made list of several raw meals I wanted to make and I did my shopping all in one go.


These are supposed to be rolls that look similar to sushi, but I couldn't get the wrapper to roll up properly. I think they came out too thin, so the next time I make them I'm going to spread them out thicker and fill less dehydrator trays. They were still super delicious though!

The wrap is made with zucchini and flax, and it's stuff full of tahini sauce and shredded veggies. It's served with a red pepper sauce, and I topped them with dehydrated crispy tomatoes. I also made mushrooms which are stuffed with a creamy pesto and topped with dried cherry tomatoes. This meal was so flavorful and filling. When I eat like this I wonder why I ever bother to cook!

Another bonus to making raw food is that there's usually leftover components that will keep in the fridge for a few days. I had plenty of sauce, tomatoes, and zucchini wraps left over to make several more meals with, so don't be surprised if you see them again in upcoming posts!



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment