Monday, June 21, 2010

Sprig and Vine


Friday was my birthday! I decided that I wanted to have my birthday dinner at Sprig and Vine in New Hope, PA, which has only been open for a few months. I've heard great things about it and have been dying to try it. New Hope is only an hour and fifteen minutes away, and it's a cute town (as is it's neighbor, Lambertville, NJ), so it was a nice day trip. Dennis and I spent most of the day walking around, looking in shops and drinking iced teas. Since we knew we wouldn't be back for a while, we had both lunch and dinner at Sprig and Vine.


I started out with a nice mint rooibos iced tea. It was really hot on Friday, so this was very refreshing. Even though it was a little too hot, we ate lunch outside. A woman walked by and asked how our meal was. She said she'd eaten there once before and really loved it.


We started out with hummus and flatbread. Yes, the bread is made with wheat, but I decided it was okay to go crazy and have wheat since it was my birthday.


I ordered a grilled tempeh ruben on pumpernickel bread, which was really delicious.


Dennis had a summer squash sandwich, which was also really good. This is a new item on their menu and hasn't made it their website yet. When we get sandwiches at restaurants, we tend to swap half with each other, which is what we did here.


We also split an order of fries. I can't even remember the last time I had fries. These were really good! They were served with grain mustard aioli.

After walking around all day, we went back for dinner. We were both tired and sweaty and had sore feet, so it was nice to sit down inside in the air conditioning.

I had the fried baby artichoke appetizer. It came with chickpeas and smoked paprika aioli. It was amazingly good and I'm still thinking about it days later.

Dennis had the edamame falafels with black sesame tahini. Tahini is one of his favorite foods and since he saw it on the lunch menu, he had been thinking about it all day. He was very pleased with it.

For dinner, he ordered the cauliflower three ways dish. There is a cauliflower "steak", cauliflower puree, and a cauliflower stuffed portabella mushroom. The dish also came with roasted fennel and cashew cream. I had planned on ordering this, but since he ordered it instead, I ordered something else and just ate some off of his plate. It was really, really tasty.


Since Dennis ordered the dish I wanted, I was torn between just about everything else on the menu. I waited until the waiter came over to make a spur of the moment decision. I ended up ordering seared coconut risotto cakes. They came with a lentil sauce and grilled vegetables. This was incredibly delicious and I was really happy with my choice.


Since it was a special occasion, we both ordered dessert. I had chocolate mousse pie, which came with coffee ice cream and cashew cream. It was really, really, really good. While I was eating it, the waiter came over to see if we liked our dessert. He asked if I could guess what the pie was made with. I said silken tofu, and was amazed that I knew. He said most people would be surprised when they found out it was tofu, so Dennis explained that I'm a whiz in the kitchen and did a little bragging about my cooking!


Dennis wasn't sure what to order for dessert, but he settled on peanut butter and jelly French toast. The "jelly" was actually a wine reduction sauce, and the peanut butter was a peanut powder. I had a tasted, and it was also really, really, really good.

Dinner was so good that we both agreed that not only was it worth the long drive to get there, it was also totally worth the sore feet! I think their dinner menu rivals that of the good vegan restaurants in NYC. I will most definitely eat there again soon!


Like what you're reading? Follow me on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/diannewenz

1 comment:

  1. A buddy trip is definitely in order....

    Glad you had a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete