Monday, May 17, 2010

Smoothies!


During the warm spring and summer months, I like to start the day off with a smoothie. They're packed with nutrients and I always feel energized after drinking them. Adding greens to a smoothie gives it extra nutritional value, since greens are so nutrient dense, and they won't change the flavor if the smoothie is also full of fruit.

I always use bananas as a base for smoothies to make them creamy. Then I add frozen fruit, water or nut milk, a handful of greens (spinach, kale and chard work best), flax seeds and hemp seeds. Raw cashews or nut butter can also be added for an extra protein kick. My favorite combination is bananas, pineapple, mango and spinach. Berries also work really well in smoothies, but the greens will change the color to mauvish-brown. It will still taste delicious, so don't let the color fool you.

Smoothies are also good for dessert! My friend Jenna introduced me to the Peanut Butter Cup smoothie. It's made with frozen bananas, nut milk, peanut butter and chocolate. (I also add hemp seeds to give it a little more protein.) Be careful if you're using raw cacao in your dessert though - it could keep you up all night!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment