Monday, May 10, 2010

Babycakes



I've been eating super healthy lately - mostly raw, nothing processed - but that changed on Saturday when I spent the day in NYC with my friend Irina. That's okay though. I'm a firm believer in the 80-20 rule: eat healthy for 80% of the time and then the rest of the time eat whatever strikes your fancy. Food should be nourishing and healing, but you should not feel deprived. If you eat healthy food most of the time, splurges are okay once in a while. And following my "never feel guilty about what you eat, consider it a science experiment" philosophy, I wanted to see if my energy level and good spirits were affected by a change in diet for a day. They weren't.

Irina and I went to Pala Pizza for lunch. I've been thinking about their delicious patatosa pizza since I ate there in February, so I ordered it again. Irina ordered a gluten-free mushroom with dairy cheese. She's not vegan and was worried about not liking the dairy free Daiya cheese. I gave her a small piece of my pizza and she said I definitely had the better pie. We also had large salads. I was super full, but I had to finish it all because it was so delicious!

After lunch, we wandered around for a bit and then ended up at Babycakes Bakery. Babycakes is known for their gluten-free vegan treats. They also have a cookbook, which I've made a few treats from in the past. I've had people tell me that they make the best cupcakes in the world, and others tell me that they have the worst cake they've ever tasted, so I really needed to try it out for myself. I usually go for anything chocolate, but it seemed like too much after the pizza, so I ordered a carrot cake cupcake. Irina ordered a donut with chocolate frosting. Babycakes is about the size of a small closet, so we took our goodies outside to enjoy in the sun and wind. The carrot cake was moist and a little too crumbly, but was pretty tasty. I've had better, but I've also had a lot worse. Irina's donut was more cakey than donuts usually are, but it was still really good. The chocolate frosting was messy and divine. I'll definitely go back.


I've been caffeine free for a few weeks now, but I had a huge amount of iced teas over the course of the day. I think it was the tea that affected me more than anything else I consumed, because I was really buzzing, even late in the evening. I have no regrets though - the food was delicious, the company was great, and it was an awesome day!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment