Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Zucchini Pasta al Pesto


This is really delicious raw dish that's perfect for a warm spring evening. It's zucchini "pasta" with pesto sauce. Zucchini pasta can be made in several ways. I have a spiralizer that transforms the zucchini into either long thin angel hair pasta or thick ribbons. I usually make angel hair pasta, but I accidentally had the blade set to ribbons. It doesn't matter, because either way it's delicious! If you don't have a spiralizer, don't worry! "Spaghetti" can be made using a julianne peeler, and ribbons can be made using a standard vegetable peeler. I made a simple pesto using basil, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, but I used cashews instead. I sprinkled nutritional yeast and olives on top of the dish when it was done for a little extra flavor.

Botanically, zucchini is considered a fruit, but it food terms, it is treated as a vegetable. It is high in Vitamins C and A, folate, lutein, manganese and potassium. Zucchinis contain powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment