Saturday, May 8, 2010

Spicy Thai Vegetable Wraps


This recipe is from Raw Food, Real World by Matthew Kenny and Sarma Melngailis, but I have to give my friend Donna full credit for introducing it to me. She made these when we taught our raw food class together a few weeks ago.

The recipe calls for almond butter, but I used cashew butter instead. It wasn't raw cashew butter, but it was what I had. Red chile peppers, ginger, lemon juice, maple syrup, nama shoyu and sea salt are mixed in. The book calls for sliced mango, carrots and sprouts to be mixed in but I followed Donna's suggestion and mixed it in broccoli slaw. The whole mixture is then wrapped in a collard leaf.

Collard greens are cruciferous vegetables, which means they are from the same family as kale, broccoli and cabbage. They are a good source of vitamin C when eaten raw, as heat destroys the vitamin. They are jam packed with nutrients and have potent anti-cancer properties. They're also very low in calories and they're high in fiber. Leafy green veggies are one of the important foods that missing from most diets today. Collard wraps like these are an easy way to fit some greens in!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

1 comment:

  1. Happy to help out, glad you loved these as much as I do - Donna

    ReplyDelete