Saturday, February 6, 2010

Broccoli Cheddar Pizza


When I was in high school, I worked at the CVS in Fair Lawn. After work, my friend Irina and I would walk across the street and get something to eat at the Land and Sea dinner. My favorite dish there was the broccoli cheddar pita melt and it's sort of become a comfort food for me. I've recreated it many times with soy cheddar and whole wheat pitas. I decided to recreate it again in pizza form for dinner last night. Dennis and I made another gluten-free pizza crust with the recipe in The Gluten-Free Vegan. We wanted to make a larger portion than we did last time since it was so thin, but we didn't have enough flour. We baked the crust for a few minutes before we topped it, but still was a little doughy. We topped the pizza with chopped broccoli and mushrooms and then covered it with Daiya cheddar cheese. It definitely satisfied my need for comfort food!

When I first tried Daiya tapioca cheese, I didn't like it. But Dennis likes it, and it's soy-free, so I've been using it here and there lately, and I have to admit that the taste is growing on me, and I do like it now. I've been ordering it from Vegan Essentials and Pangea online, it's becoming more and more popular and I think it will be available in local stores soon. I just found out that the Whole Foods in Paramus carries it, so it's just a matter of time before other Whole Foods start carrying it too. Keep an eye out for it.


Like what you're reading? Then check out my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment