Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dennis and I celebrated Valentine's Day a day early in New York City. We started out with a trip to Moo Shoes on Orchard Street. Dennis bought a pair of black Earth Shoes, and he treated me to cute pair of Madden Girl Mary Jane wedges. I'm a total sucker for Mary Janes, and have about 8 pairs of them!


Then we went to Pala Pizza on Allen Street, which was an amazing treat. Pala has a vegan section on their menu, and they have gluten-free pizza crusts and pastas upon request. The vegan pizzas are made with Daiya cheese. We started out with an appetizer of caponata which was absolutely delicious. We ordered two pizzas and split them. We had a patatosa pizza which had thinnly shaved potatoes, zucchini and rosemary, and a romana pizza which had mushrooms and tomato sauce. Both pizzas were incredible, but the patatosa was our favorite. Who knew that potatoes would go well on a pizza? I was so excited at the idea of getting a gluten and soy-free vegan pizza at a resturant - I had no idea the food would be so amazingly delcious! The restaurant is cute and quaint, our waitress was extremely kind and friendly, and strangely, Fred Schnieder of the B-52s was sitting right next to me at the next table. Unfortunately, they had vegan desserts and gluten-free desserts, but not vegan, gluten-free desserts. We were pretty stuffed from dinner anyway, so we just went to Starbucks and had some tea and Lucy's cookies.


We ended the evening at Theater Row on 42nd Street where we saw Sam Shepard's A Lie of the Mind directed by Ethan Hawke. Starring in the play were Keith Carradine, Josh Hamilton, Marin Ireland, Alessandro Nivola, Laurie Metcalf, Maggie Siff, Karen Young and Frame Whaley. The theater was really small and we were in the front row. I felt a little uncomfortable being so close to the actors at first, especially because Josh Hamilton and Alessandro Nivola were just inches away from me and when Alessandro knocked a bag of ice out of Josh's hands, the ice landed in my lap! I got more comfortable with our seats as the play continued, and was glad we had an unobstructed view of the stage. The show was excellent and I highly recommend it if you're looking for something to see.


Whatever you're doing to celebrate Valentine's Day today, I hoe you enjoy it!!

Like what you're reading? Then check out my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment