Thursday, February 25, 2010

Risotto with Lentils


I had to take my cat Schroeder to the vet for a check up last night. Last year I found a lump on his paw that turned out to be an aggressive tumor of the cartilage, and Schroe had to have his arm removed. He has to go to the vet every 3 to 4 months to have his progress checked (there's a slight chance the tumor could have spread), and he also needs his blood sugar checked because he's diabetic. (I should have studied animal health care!) He ran a comprehensive wellness blood test, which came back normal. The vet said Schroeder looks great and there's nothing to worry about!

Before I left for the vet's office, I started up the slow cooker with another meal from The Vegetarian Slow Cooker. This is Risotto with Lentils, and it's extremely simple. I added half an onion and a little bit of olive oil to slow cooker and let it cook for a few minutes. Then I added half cup of lentils, a cup of ariboro rice and four cups of water. I set the time for two hours and ran out with Schroeder. When I came home, I chopped and sautéed some kale. I garnished the rice mixture with a little olive oil, parsley and chopped olives. It was an quick and easy meal, and it was quite tasty!

Schroeder doesn't have extra appendages in the back, that's his friend Archie behind him!

Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

2 comments:

  1. I kept staring at that cat photo for a while trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Then I read your explanation of there being two cats. A very strange optical illusion. I still can't quite figure it out.

    Anyway, maybe I need to invest in a slow cooker. I love the idea of dinner being ready when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the slow cooker! I used it tonight because I was supposed to be a busy night. (But the snow changed that, fortunately.) I've used it four times now and haven't been disappointed yet! Once I put steel cut oats with dried blueberries and pumpkin seeds in it before going to bed and breakfast was ready when I woke up!

    Schroeder's sitting normally in the picture. Archie's either playing with something or licking something behind him. He's kind of hunched over so that's the curve of his back and part of his thigh. His head's behind Schroe.

    ReplyDelete