Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Simple Stir-fry


I've been making some pretty elaborate dinners lately, but not every allergen free meal has to be so complicated. It's pretty easy to make dishes that are vegan and are free of soy, wheat, corn and the other foods I'm sensitive too. To prove that point, I made a simple stir-fry. It was easy to make, but it was still delicious and packed with nutrition.

The stir-fry consisted of onions, sugar sugar snap peas, red and orange mini peppers, mushrooms, baby bok choy and peanuts. I used peanut oil, rice vinegar and wheat-free tamari sauce to season the veggies, and then I added some spicy Thai chili sauce for a little kick. (Yes, tamari does contain soy. I'll admit - I use it occasionally as a condiment.) I served the veggies over Trader-Joes Brown Rice Medley, and I topped the whole thing off with sesame seeds.

Sesame seeds may be the oldest condiment known to man dating back to as early as 1600 BC. They are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber. Sesame seeds also contain lignans the sesamin and sesamolin which have been shown lower cholesterol and prevent high blood pressure. Sesamin has also been found to protect the liver from oxidative damage. So be sure sprinkle sesame seeds liberally on your veggies and rice dishes!



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment