Monday, February 22, 2010

Deep Dish Rutabaga Fennel Gratin


I saw the recipe for this on the Vegetarian Times website and it looked interesting enough to try out. It consists of slices of rutabaga, onions, potatoes and fennel layered in a baking dish and covered in cheese, flour, milk and spices. It was easy enough to make allergy friendly - I used Daiya cheese, rice milk and Bob's Red Mill's Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour. I also doubled the recipe because I didn't know what I'd do with half a fennel bulb hanging out in the fridge.

This recipe was definitely an experiment. I guess it was because I doubled the recipe, but it took waaaay longer than an hour to cook. I should have turned the heat on the oven up higher. Because it was coated in flour, the cheese didn't melt. I put the dish under the broiler thinking it would help melt the cheese, but all that accomplished was burning the top. It was quite good though, and it was an interesting change of pace from the type of meals I usually cook. If I make it again, I will probably omit the flour because I don't think it was necessary.



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment