Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mushroom Stroganoff


This recipe is from The Cancer Project. The recipe uses seitan, which is wheat gluten, so I can't have it. I substituted the gluten for large portabella mushroom slices. I really love this recipe because the "cream" sauce is just white beans and cashews puréed together, so it's loaded with protein. Tomato paste gives the sauce a nice tangy zing. I served the mixture over rice noodles with a side of sautéed red kale.

You may have noticed that I cook with mushrooms a lot. I used to think I didn't like mushrooms, but that's probably because on the rare occasion that my mom did buy them, they were in a can. Canned mushrooms are gross. But fresh ones are extremely delicious. Some people believe that mushrooms don't have much nutritional value, but that's simply not true. They are high in selenium, B vitamins, potassium, iron and riboflavin. Mushrooms are also high in glutamic acid, which is beneficial to brain and nervous system functions. Cooked mushrooms also have antibiotic properties and help the immune system.




Like what you're reading? Then check out my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment