Friday, February 26, 2010

Lebanese Eggplant Stew


Yesterday was another busy day, so I started up the slow cooker before I left for work in the morning. This time I made Lebanese Eggplant Stew, which is another recipe from The Vegetarian Slow Cooker. The dish consists of diced eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, onion, garlic (I used shallots), cinnamon, allspice and red pepper flakes. I chopped all the veggies the night before so I wouldn't have much work to do in the morning. The recipe didn't call for any any liquid, which I thought was strange, so I added a little vegetable broth. I also added some chickpeas to make it more of complete meal. When I got home, I cooked up a brown and wild rice mixture in my rice cooker. I added a little olive oil to the stew and topped it with chopped olives and parsley.

This was a good meal, but next time I make it, I think I'll omit the cinnamon and allspice. I'd also like to try it with a tomato sauce base instead of broth.


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment