Friday, February 5, 2010

Another Grilled Cheese and Heirloom Tomatoes


Yes, I know that I've already done a post about grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm doing another one for two reasons: this week I'm doing posts about how simple and easy wheat and soy-free vegan living is, and because I wanted to show off this gorgeous heirloom tomato!

This was a simple lunch of grilled cheese and soup. The grilled cheese sandwich is made with rice cheese, rye bread, soy-free Earth Balance and a few slices of tomato. The soup is a pre-made split pea soup I bought at Trader Joes.

When I sliced the tomato open for the sandwich, I was quite surprised at how gorgeous it was inside. Heirloom tomatoes are more expensive than the regular store bought varieties, but they taste much, MUCH better, and they've spoiled me for any other kind of tomato. An heirloom is generally considered to be a variety that has been passed down, through several generations of a family because of it's valued characteristics. They come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes. Heirloom tomatoes have become increasingly more popular and readily available in recent years, and I would encourage everyone to give them a try!


Like what you're reading? Then check out my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment