Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fajitas with Spicy Rice and Beans


I bought brown rice tortillas at Trader Joes, and decided to do something with them other than quesadillas, which have become a regular in my meal rotation. I decide on fajitas, which are only slightly different than quesadillas, but that's okay. I used onions, mushrooms and lots of peppers. Unfortunately, rice tortillas don't do well as wraps, and broke apart when I tried to wrap the veggies up in them. It didn't take away from the taste at all, but just made them difficult to eat!

I also made spicy brown rice and beans, and I completely overspiced them. Dennis liked it a lot, but it was a little too spicy for my taste. I cut up two small habanaro peppers and added them to the rice as it was cooking, and apparently two peppers is too much! I add habanaros to dishes often and don't usually have a problem with them being too spicy. It seems that sautéing them reduces the heat but adding them to boiling water must increase it somehow! The guacamole on the side definitely helped cool the heat so I was able to eat it.


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmm. This looks good!

    I did the exact same thing with an almond dressing recipe I just made. I added 2 thai chiles, thinking they were too small to do any real damage. Boy, was I wrong!

    ReplyDelete