Friday, March 26, 2010

Vegan Adventures in Miami - The Cafe at Books and Books

On Sunday Jessica, Karen, Laura and I went to The Cafe at Books and Books for lunch. Books and Books is located in the Lincoln Street Mall, which is a large pedestrian mall full of shops and restaurants. Jessica and I had shopped at Books and Books the night before and found that they are open til midnight on weekends. We noticed that they had quite a few vegan options on their cafe menu and were anxious to try some of them.

They were extremely busy at lunchtime on Sunday, but that seems common for all of the restaurants on Lincoln Street.

Our waiter brought us a complimentary black bean hummus. I didn't eat any of the crackers, but I did try the hummus, which was really delicious.


Laura had vegan curried chicken Salad with tabouli and a mixed greens salad. I tried a piece of the chicken salad, which was really good. After I had it in my mouth, Jessica warned me that it was probably made with wheat-gluten. It was too late, so I figured I'd make an experiment out of it and a few hours to see if I had a reaction, which I didn't. Woohoo!


Karen had a tofu and avocado salad.


Jessica had a salad with beans and olives.


I had the vegan platter, which consisted of salad, grilled tofu, sweet potatoes, corn, bean salad, and black bean hummus. Yum! This was the first meal I wasn't able to finish while eating out in Miami Beach. It was really tasty but there was simply too much food!

Jessica and I liked the food at Books and Books so much that we went back for dinner!

We started off with chips and guacamole. This was probably the best guac I've ever had!


Jessica had a tofu and mushroom stir-fry. I was supposed to come with couscous, but she had them substitute brown rice, because she's been avoiding wheat as well.


I treated myself to a delicious red wine sangria.


I had quinoa and broccoli, which also came with squash and peppers. The broccoli was grilled which made it extra tasty. The dish came with a balsamic dressing, which really enhanced the meal. Once again, this was too much food for me to finish, and I was sad to leave the leftovers behind.

Books and Books has so many vegan options, so it's a must for vegans visiting Miami Beach.


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment