Monday, March 15, 2010

Follow Up Doctor Appointment

I know, I know... I've missed a few days of blogging. I've been super busy! I know a lot of people say they're busy, and what it actually means that there have been a lot of good shows in TV lately, but not me - I'm busy. Currently I'm working full time during the day and doing health counseling part time in the evenings. I've also been working on building up my business so I can quit that day job and support myself solely with health counseling. In addition to that, I'm currently doing the Immersion program at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition where I am mentoring 12 students. I've had sessions with the students (whom I LOVE) all weekend, and on Friday night I gave a talk on plant based nutrition to the vegan group I belong to.

On Friday, I also went for a follow up appointment with my doctor. When I started the elimination diet in December, I felt GREAT! I was sleeping better, my skin looked great and my digestion had improved. Things started to go downhill in February when my day job went from stressful to super-duper stressful. I was still eating properly, but my symptoms all returned. The doctor couldn't really come up with any explanation for it, but she gave me an adrenal testing kit to see if the stress has blown out my adrenal glands. It's something that needs to be done over the course of a day, and I need to relax on that day, so I haven't been able to do it yet. The good news is that my vitamin D and magnesium levels have returned to normal! The bad news is that I'm low in carnitine, which is because of the amino acid transport deficiency I have. Carnitine deficiency is common in people with celiac disease, so I'm guessing my digestive issues have a lot to do with it too. The doctor said the deficiency is probably causing me to feel more stressed out lately too. She gave me some more supplements to help with it. I have to continue taking vitamin D and magnesium, but in lower doses. So the news at the doctor's wasn't too bad, all in all. I have to go back two weeks after I mail the adrenal tests into the lab, so I'll probably go back in about a month.

If you're interested in learning more about health and nutrition, you might be interested in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, which is where I received my training. IIN has distance learning now, which allows students to learn from home at their own pace. Their new catalog has just come out, so please take a look here! You can also tune in to a webinar tomorrow at 3:00 EST, by signing up here. If you are interested in IIN, please send me an email - dianne@veggiegirl.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment