Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Double Broccoli Quinoa


I saw this recipe on 101 Cookbooks a few months ago and have been waiting for the perfect moment to try it. That moment finally came! This was super quick and easy to make, and I was able to veganize it with ease. I used nutritional yeast instead of parmesan and swapped the almonds with cashews for my allergies. I omitted the heavy cream, which I could have easily switched with cashew cream, but I didn't feel the recipe needed it.

The first part of the double broccoli is broccoli pesto with is mixed with the quinoa. The second part is steamed broccoli that's added to the quinoa mix. I added some red onions and bell peppers to the broccoli for some color and extra nutrition. This meal was amazingly delicious!

So what is nutritional yeast? It's an inactive yeast that has a nutty, cheesy flavor. Vegans and people with lactose intolerances use it often because of its unique flavor and similarity to cheese when added to foods. It's delicious sprinkled on popcorn or pasta, and it can even be made in to "cheesy" sauces for nachos and mac & cheese. Nutritional yeast is full of B12, protein, folate, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and a huge list of other nutrients.



Like what you're reading? Follow me on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/diannewenz

No comments:

Post a Comment