Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spring Cleanse - Day 1

My Spring Cleanse has begun! I am doing a one week detox along with clients. It's a pretty simple detox for those who are already eating a relatively clean diet. The day begins with a tonic made from water, lemon juice, ginger, maple syrup and hawthorn berry. The diet is a whole foods, plant-based diet, which includes fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds. The diet for days 5 and 6 excludes grains, beans, nuts and seeds. Each day is devoted to detoxing a different organ with simple exercises and supplements.


Day 1 is devoted to getting adjusted to the modified diet. It wasn't difficult and I pretty much ate what I usually do. My day started out with oatmeal loaded with fruits, seeds and nuts. I had a big fruit salad for a snack and then a large garden salad for lunch. I found myself having some cravings in the afternoon - hummus and crackers, chickpeas and chocolate! I'm sure it's because I didn't include any grains or beans in salad.


For dinner, I made quinoa with a veggie-stir fry consisted of onion, garlic, asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper and kale. I used a little olive oil (up to three tablespoons a day is allowed but I'm trying to stay under) and lemon juice to flavor it.


I recommended that my clients make a small side salad with dinner each night, but I ignored my own advice. Instead I made collard green wraps, which were inspired by my friend Donna's delicious creations in the raw class we taught on Saturday. I mashed up an avocado with lime juice and and some seaweed flakes, spread it over collard leaves, then topped it with some pea shoots and chopped bell peppers. I rolled the whole thing up into a little spring roll-like bundle. It was delicious, and I've already made more to take to work tomorrow! I also used the leftover cooked quinoa to make a big quinoa salad for tomorrow's lunch. I'm hoping the quinoa, along with some chick peas, will keep the afternoon cravings away!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment