Monday, April 19, 2010

Zucchini Tomato Gratin



I found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times website and immediately wanted to try it. It was easy to veganize with Daiya cheese. I bought some beautiful heirloom tomatoes to use in this dish. The recipe says to salt and drain the veggies and then roast the zucchini, but I didn't have that kind of time, so I just layered it all together. As a result, the dish was a little watery, but it was still tasty.



This meal marks the return of garlic to my cooking!! As I said last week, I'm going to start adding things that I didn't have bad allergic reactions to into my diet to see how I do on them. I've already had black tea and asparagus with no problem. I used to cook with garlic every chance I had so it was a shock to my system when I had to give it up. It was strange using it again. I crushed it and my eyes immediately began to water. But soon my mouth was watering too, because it's so delicious!



Garlic was first used in ancient times by the Egyptians to treat wounds, infections, tumors and intestinal parasites. It has the ability to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as aid digestion, relieve earaches and act as an expectorant. Garlic is also a powerful antibiotic It is the sulphur-containing compounds of garlic that are responsible for many of its healing properties. Garlic’s sulphur compounds are potent antioxidants which protect cell membranes and DNA from damage.



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment