Thursday, January 14, 2010

Baked Pumpkin Ziti with Carmelized Onions


This is another recipe from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. It's a really interesting twist on baked ziti that uses puréed pumpkin instead of tomato sauce. The pumpkin purée is mixed with tofu ricotta, carmelized onions and some spices and then mixed with the cooked ziti. The dish is then topped with breadcrumbs mixed with spices and margerine.

It was pretty easy to alter this recipe to fit my allergen-free diet. I used rice pasta and rice bread crumbs, both of which I bought at Whole Foods. (I was happy to recently discover that the local Shop Rite also stocks them.) Instead of tofu ricotta, I mixed up a batch of the same cashew ricotta that I made for the lasagna tart a few weeks ago. As you may have figured by now, I'm not big on lots of onions, but the carmelized onions in this recipe were really tasty. After cooking the ziti mix in the oven for half an hour, I popped it under the broiler for a few minutes to get the top of the bread crumbs a little crunchy. In true broiler fashion, the top burnt because I turned my back on it for 5 seconds too long. The dish still tasted great though, and everyone wanted to know what smelled so good when I reheated leftovers at work today.



Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment