Thursday, January 7, 2010

Gluten Free Vegan Penne with Vodka Sauce


After all of the elaborate cooking I've been doing lately, I wanted to make something simple. I decided on penne with vodka sauce with sautéed broccoli rabe.

Penne with vodka sauce use to be a favorite before I went vegan, and it's something I've missed. There's a recipe for it in Veganomicon, so I finally decided to give it a try. The recipe calls for raw almonds, which make tomato sauce creamy when ground up and blended in. I used raw cashews instead, and they worked quite well. The recipe called for half a cup of nuts, and I think I might increase that to a 3/4 or a full cup the next time I make this to make it a little creamier. I used multi-grain gluten-free penne that was made with rice, quinoa and amaranth. I've been cooking with rice pastas latey and wanted to give something else a try. It was good, but I think I prefer the rice pasta.

This is a nice, simple, quick and tasty dinner for a night when you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment