Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chili Night!


Chili's always a good, easy to make one pot meal. I'm incapable of making a small portion of chili, so Dennis and I always end up eating it for weeks. I've had people ask for my recipe, but the truth is that I don't really have one - I just throw lots of stuff in a pot. I usually use a large can of diced tomatoes and a large can of tomato sauce and I add a can each of pinto, kidney and black beans. To that I add chopped zucchini and summer squash, chopped onions and a variety of peppers, including some spicy ones. I use chili powder and cumin to taste to spice it up. I usually add a cup of tvp, but I left it out this time, since it's soy. I let the chili simmer for a while - usually a few hours - before we eat it.

I usually make cheesy double cornbread to go alongside my chili, but since I'm avoiding corn, I decided to make chickpea socca bread again. I got a little experimental with it this time and added a chopped chili pepper and a little nutritional yeast, which worked perfectly with the chili.

Not only was this meal delicious, it was extremely nutritious. The chili is packed with lots of healthy veggies and beans. Beans are a great way to add high-quality, plant-based protein to your diet. They are high in iron, B vitamins, calcium and fiber and are low in fat. So make some chili and don't feel guilty when you go back for a second helping!


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment