Monday, January 25, 2010

Pizza Night!


Sunday used to be pizza night in our house, but my food allergies have put a halt to that tradition. Dennis and I would buy a pre-made whole wheat crust and top it with veggies and Vegan Gourmet soy cheese. We revived our tradition yesterday and made a gluten-free pizza crust using a recipe in The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien. We topped the crust with tomato sauce, broccoli rabe, mushrooms and Daiya vegan cheese.

The crust was made with Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free flour and potato flour. The recipe doesn't call for pre-heating it before topping it, but I think we will do so the next time we make it because it was a little bit doughy in the middle and it seemed thin. We'll probably make more than one batch the next time we make it so it will be a little thicker too.

Daiya is a new vegan cheese on the market, and currently none of the stores around me carry it, so I had to mail order it. It's becoming more popular, so I think it's just a matter of time before my local Whole Foods carries it. It's made with tapioca and somehow melts like dairy cheese, which most soy cheeses don't do. I have to admit that it's not my favorite vegan cheese, but it is growing on me, and I'm happy to have a soy-free cheese option.

I'm happy to have pizza night back and am looking forward to experimenting with doughs and toppings!



Like what you're reading? Then check out my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment