Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chickpea Socca with Greens and White Bean Purée


Yes, I made more socca stacks! This time the socca pieces were sandwiched between layers of tomato sauce, sautéed kale, white bean purée and caramelized leeks. (I love caramelized leeks!) This recipe is from You Won't Believe it's Vegan! by Lacey Sher and Gail Doherty.

Lacy Sher and Gail Doherty used to own the restaurant Down to Earth in Red Bank, NJ. Red Bank is about an hour south of us on the NJ Parkway. Dennis and I used to drive down there every once in a while just to eat there because the food was so amazingly delicious. We were hearbroken when the restaurant closed and we could no longer get our favorite vegan dishes. I stumbled across this book in the bookstore by chance, and after flipping through it and recognizing the dish names, I quickly realized that it was a cookbook full of Down to Earth's recipes. I almost started crying right there in the bookstore when I realized that I could once again have my favorite Down to Earth dishes. But of course, I would have to cook them myself.

This socca dish isn't difficult, but each layer needs to be cooked in it's own dish or pan, so I did make quite a mess. It was so delicious that I was worth it though. Dennis loved it so much that he said "I feel sorry for people who are not me" !

Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I used to go to Down to Earth when I lived down the shore! There is a cute little vegetarian cafe in Asbury Park now called Twisted Tree...if you are ever down the area!
    ~Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out Twisted Tree if I'm ever down in that area - thanks for letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete