Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wild Mushroom Socca


I woke up with tummy troubles this morning. It was as if I ate wheat encrusted soy cakes served on a corn tortilla. I'm not sure what caused it. Was it the spelt pasta I ate for dinner yesterday? The gluten free pancakes? All of that hummus I had at my friend's birthday party last night?

So I decided to stay away from most floury kinds of food today. Except chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is good. I made Wild Mushroom Socca Stacks from the last issue of Vegetarian Times for dinner tonight. Socca is a flat bread made from chickpea flour and is slightly reminiscent of polenta.

I doubled the recipe so that I could have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should have used a larger pan for the socca or not, but I had to cook it for close to half an hour before it firmed up nicely. I got lazy and used premade sauce instead of making my own. I also used a lot less onion than the recipe called for, which I always do because I don't like when my food is too oniony. I served the socca stacks on a bed of sautéed kale. Not only do sautéed greens make for a pretty presenation, they are crammed full of essential nutrients. Leafy greens are a good source of dietary fiber, protein, calcium, folate, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and vitamins A, C, E and K. Green vegetables are the foods that most missing from modern diets.

This recipe was pretty easy to make and was really tasty. Dennis said it was like "restaurant food" and went back for seconds. I'm already looking forward to lunchtime tomorrow so I can have another serving. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles. The socca looks delish. I am going to have to dig out that issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can just click the link to find the recipe.

    ReplyDelete