Monday, January 11, 2010

Oatmeal


Rolled oats is always good for a quick and healthy breakfast. Although, if you have celiac disease or a gluten allergy, it's probably best to stay away from oatmeal. Oats do not contain gluten themselves, but they can be subject to cross contamination in processing.

I don't like the texture of plain oatmeal, so I like to load it up with stuff. This time, I used sliced bananas, goji berries, pumpkin seeds and hemp milk. After the oatmeal was done cooking, I mixed in chia seeds, hemp seeds and ground flax seeds.

Flax, chia and hemp are full of the essential omega-3 fatty acids, which so many diets are lacking. Omega-3 fatty acids are important in the normal functioning of all tissues of the body. Deficiencies are responsible for a huge range of symptoms and disorders including abnormalities in the liver and kidney, changes in the blood, reduced growth rates, decreased immune function, depression, and skin changes, including dryness and scaliness. Adequate
intake of the essential fatty acids results in numerous health benefits including prevention of atherosclerosis, reduced incidence of heart disease and stroke, and relief from the symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis, menstrual pain, and joint pain.

Along with my oatmeal, I mixed up some vanilla chai Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer with cold water and a banana. Vega contains protein from hemp, yellow pea, brown rice and flax as well as essential fatty acids and blue-green algea. It's important for me to make sure I get lots of protein because I have an amino acid transporter deficiency, which means the protein I'm ingesting doesn't always get to where it needs to go in my body.

This breakfast should keep me full and fuel me up until lunch time!

No comments:

Post a Comment