Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes with Socca


I don't really have a name for this dish, although it is very chili-like. It's something I make regularly because it's simple and comforting. I sautée peppers of all colors and kinds (sweet and hot) with some chopped onion, and then add a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of kidney beans and let it simmer for a while. I usually serve this with grilled polenta, but corn's off the menu for now. I thought about making some rice to go with it, but then I remembered the socca I made recently. Socca is a flat bread made with chickpea flour and is reminiscent of polenta. So I quickly cooked up some socca in the oven and grilled it in a grill pan on the stove top. Socca is delicious and easy to make, so I'm sure I'll be making it often.


Chickpea Socca
1 cup chickpea flour
2 cups water
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat ovent to 450 degrees and oil a large baking pan.
Wisk flour, water, salt and pepper together. Wisk in olive oil.
Pour socca mixture into pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until socca is firm.

Socca is versitle and can be used to make lasagne like stacks. Try different fillings, including tomato sauce, sautéed veggies, and steamed leafy greens. Also try experiment with different spices in the socca mixture before baking.


Like what you're reading? Then sign up for my healthy living newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment